Sunday, May 17, 2009

Clear Bear Comes Through...

Sweet Jesus, someone lit a fire under Dan Cleary. I love guys like him. He's a Detroiter's hockey player. He does a little bit of everything and can fill in anywhere you play him. Wings fans have a long history of falling for hard-working guys like him, and I hope he starts to get the recognition he deserves.

I already like this series more than either of the first two rounds. I hope that doesn't come back to bite me. This was just straight-up fun to watch. Although, I can imagine a casual fan who had only tuned in for a couple of the Anaheim games before would find himself/herself wondering if they were watching the same sport.

Speaking of fun to watch, Johan Franzen's post-game interview on Channel 4 was really funny. I really can't explain why. It's one of those things that you just have to see for yourself. Somebody needs to post it on youtube. I think he might have ADD.

Holmstrom seemed to have a much bigger presence today. He didn't get rewarded for it, but he did draw a penalty. Hopefully he breaks out this series, along with Datsyuk. I won't be happy until Khabibulin is having nightmares about that big Swedish tank in front of his face.

As much fun as it was to watch, there's a lot of room for improvement in the Wings' game. There were entirely too many turnovers, and once again, they didn't bother lacing up their skates until halfway through the first period. I have to assume that that will come back to haunt them at least one game this series. The final score makes the game look more lopsided than it actually was. I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't worried when the Hawks tied it up in the third. It was nice to see that the Wings came out and dominated the third period again, even though they didn't have but a couple of days rest between series. I think I read somewhere that the Hawks have been playing really strong third periods, but the Wings were able to take over and play even better.

It's only been one game, and already I miss Mickey. At least he did the post-game wrap-up on NBC.

No comments:

Post a Comment