Sunday, July 12, 2009

Why We're Still Hockeytown...

I found this poll on ESPN (You have to vote in the first poll before it lets you go on to the next one. At present, it's the fifth one.).


It’s asking which sport has the brightest future in the US. MMA won. This makes me sad for humanity. I’ve never quite understood the fascination with this, but maybe I’m not meant to. Anyway, at least hockey beat soccer. I was amused by the fact that the only states that hockey “won” were Michigan, Minnesota, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, and Vermont. The only state soccer won? Washington. I was also quite proud of the fact that Michigan had the highest percentage of hockey votes (by far), and was the only state in which hockey topped 50%. As of 1 PM, we were leading the next closest state by 10%. And to think that people were saying that we should lose our title as Hockeytown. It just goes to show that we do things a little better here in the Mitten.

The other day, I had a lot of work to get done. Naturally, this meant that I spent a lot of time on youtube procrastinating. Whilst flipping through the massive amounts of hockey-related videos out there, I came across these two beauties. They’re pretty much standard tribute fare, but if you’re like me, you need all the help you can get to make it through the off-season. If nothing else, they'll give you your daily Steve Yzerman fix.

Also, I finally got a chance to watch the Burn Notice from June 25th, and there was a pretty awesome Wings reference in it. Anyone remember Stacy Roest? It’s at about the 25:30 mark over at Hulu.

There’s not a whole lot else going on in the Red Wings universe. Snapshots has had some great recaps of the prospect camp (Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 4), and it’s always fun to read about the guys who could be the wave of the future. Make sure you check that out if you have the time. They’re rather lengthy, but worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment