Friday, August 28, 2009

A Little Taste of Hockey...

I just watched the end of Canada’s Red/White scrimmage. It didn’t mean much, but it was glorious to see some live hockey. The scrimmage ended in a 2-2 tie. Even if it was a grainy little video on my laptop. Honestly, I think my favorite part was listening to the sounds of the game without the broadcasters talking. You could hear the crowd noise, the skate blades cutting into the ice, and the crack of every tape-to-tape pass. It was like music to my ears. Can the off-season be over yet? I’m totally ready for training camp to start.

After the game, every forward took a shot in the shootout. Dan Cleary scored on his attempt. I screencapped it, but it didn’t come out spectacularly well. Cleary's Red Team ended up winning the shootout 6-2, for what it's worth.





In other news, Sidney Crosby was in the handshake line. I even managed to not make any wisecracks about it. That’s him in the middle in white, if you care. You can’t make out Cleary, but he’s the guy in red, second from the right.


For a more detailed description of the scrimmage, check out ESPN's NHL blog, which has a period by period description of the fun.

4 comments:

  1. I agree whole heartedly. While watching last night, I look to my fiancee and tell her that I could totally watch hockey without announcers and just "hockey noise" all the time. Especially when Center Ice chooses the broadcast that ISN'T Ken and Mick.

    Could use a clock, though. I'm smart enough to count up to three or four to keep track of the score, but it might help to know how much is left, ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kris, I love your blog and appreciate your in-depth knowledge of all things NHL in general and the Red Wings in particular. Bringing up 'HandshakeGate' AGAIN makes you seem to be a sore loser. I'm willing to bet that Sidney Crosby already knows he made a mistake by being delayed after the game 7 win and won't let it happen again next year.

    Either call for Congressional hearings, or drop it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely could have used a clock. I picked it up midway through the second period (as I discovered later) and I had no idea what the score was or how much time was left in the game.

    And @Anonymous: I'm actually quite over it. But if you think I'm going to pass up a chance to take a dig at Sid the Kid, you're sorely mistaken. Thanks for the compliments, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes.....it's obvious that you're over it :)

    ReplyDelete