Wings vs. Blue Jackets @7 PM
1. Columbus is currently tied for the Central Division lead. This is yet another of the many bizarre things that have taken place so far this season. Ken Hitchcock has been vocal about wanting to knock the Wings off of the top of the standings this season. It wouldn’t surprise me to see the BJs fired up for the game tonight, especially in light of their first round sweep during the playoffs. Will the Wings decide to show up tonight, or will we be treated to another lackluster performance?
2. Steve Mason has been underwhelming so far during his sophomore season (for the record, I called this during the summer). That, of course, means that he’s probably going to choose tonight to return to his rookie season form. Are the Wings going to get shut down by another young goalie? Again?
3. Jimmy Howard is starting tonight. How much hair will I have left by the end of the game?
4. How long is it going to take for Ken Hitchcock to start whining about how the Wings cheat on faceoffs? How many times is this going to be brought up during the broadcast? (Answer: Every time a Wing gets thrown out of the faceoff circle.)
5. What are the odds that Rick Nash scores a hat trick tonight? Seriously.
As far as I know, there isn’t any sort of pre-game ceremony scheduled for tonight. We can all be thankful for that. For the life of me, I can’t figure out why every opposing team doesn’t find some excuse to celebrate something before the Wings visit their arena. They could celebrate a former player’s birthday, the anniversary of a milestone, or even National Pickle Day and I think it would somehow manage to knock the Wings off of their game. Not that I want this to happen, but I’m just saying…there’s some history to the idea.