Sunday, November 1, 2009

Things I Need to Know...

For those of you who inquired about my cookie-making:



Yeah, they tasted as good as they look. I use sweets to buy people's friendship.

Ok, so since I missed the game last night, I can’t offer a recap. Naturally, the first game I’ve missed all season turned out to be the first one the Wings appear to have shown up to play. I somehow ended up spending a solid hour talking hockey at the Halloween party I was at. I kept checking on the score by texting Google throughout the night, and sometime around 12:30 AM we saw that the score was 2-1 with the game still in progress. Three or four of us spent the next several minutes huddled around my phone repeatedly texting Google (and accidentally Twitter) waiting for a confirmation of the final score. This is why the thought of leaving the state of Michigan breaks my heart. Seriously, do people do things like that in Atlanta? Tampa Bay? Phoenix? I think not.

In other news, my spy costume was mistaken for a detective, a flasher, a gangster, a ninja, and an off-duty stripper. I was a little disappointed that nobody guessed that I was a spy until I realized that that was the whole point of being a spy. It’s possible that I’m the worst costume maker ever, but I like to think that it’s because I’m just the best darn spy around.

Anyway, back to hockey. I watched the highlight reel on NHL.com, but I’ve got some questions that I’d like answered.

1. How did the third line look? Were they as good on the forecheck as I imagined when I saw their names put together?
2. The recaps I’ve read so far have told me that the Wings finally looked like themselves. Is this true?
3. Did Brad Stuart really play as well as folks are saying he did? Is that like a Halloween miracle or something?
4. How disturbing was seeing Brad May take that stick to the eye? Not only did he look like he was in pain, he looked terrified too. Okay, I guess this is more of a rhetorical question.
5. I’ve also been told that Ozzie played well. True or false? Did he make some big saves or did the Wings limit the Flames chances pretty well?

3 comments:

  1. 1. The third line was easily the best for either team. Patrick Eaves was everywhere, Darren Helm was - well - Darren Helm, and Kris Draper was playing like he was 15 years younger, (attempting to throw) big hits and all...

    2. The Wings looked better, for sure. All around effort, finally. Chris Osgood DIDN'T let in a goal 30 seconds into the game (but almost did), so that's a plus...

    3. Stuart had his best game of the season, but if he hadn't scored, most people wouldn't have noticed. Defenseman Goals does not equal awesome defenseman.

    4. It was definitely scary. I was surprised neither Ken Daniels nor Larry Murphy mentioned Todd Bertuzzi taking a skate to the face, even though they showed the replay multiple times. Ansar Khan saved the day and let the world know he got stitches in the locker room. Hurrah, information.

    5. Ozzie looked like a goddamn All Star compared to Jimmy Howard. No rebounds to speak of, making saves when he needed to, he wasn't sliding all over the place like they were actually playing on Crocodile Mile. I'm probably not the best person to be objective re: Osgood, but if making 20 saves means "playing well," then yeah, I guess he did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cookies look both creative and delicious.

    Re: sitting around a phone waiting for a hockey score to go final - I giggle at hockey moments like that. All through the playoffs the last couple years, televisions at the local minor league ballpark in town would be tunred to the Red Wings games, and people would be dividing their attention between the baseball on the field and the hockey on the screen, some dashing back and forth across the concourse when they heard cheers from one direction or another. And when I went to the Sleeping Bear Dunes this fall on vacation, I saw visitors in Zetterberg and Lidstrom tee-shirts. I can't really imagine that in many other places than Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in NC now, I'm a grad student at Duke after a lifetime of living in Michigan. People down here just don't understand. I asked someone at the cafeteria if I could change the channel to the Wings game (moot point, they don't get Vs.) and they looked at me like I had grown three heads. At my little brothers HS Graduation two years ago back in MI, there were updates pumped _through the official PA system_ interupting the ceremony. That's what you get when your principal is a hockey fan, too. The best part was it still wasn't enough, since every time the Wings scored you could see about a quarter of the crowd kinda silently cheer from their phone updates, and you could see the headphones that the Valdictorian was wearing under his robe so he could listen to the game on the radio. I miss Michigan so much...

    ReplyDelete