Friday, October 23, 2009

See, I Told You Hockey Makes You Smarter...

So this is completely random, but I have a crossword puzzle addiction. My roommate had started the puzzle from the other day and left it on the table. I sat down to finish it while I ate lunch today, and I busted out laughing at one of her answers. One of the fist clues was “Benchwarmer” with five blanks for the response. Her answer was ‘hoser.’ Clearly I’ve taught her well. I then proceeded to discover that it was a fitting response (still wrong, though) because the entire puzzle was hockey themed. The big across answers all came from hockey penalties. I finally felt like the thousands of hours I’ve spent watching hockey over the years had paid off, although I’m still not quite clear what I actually gained.

I also want to say that school has absolutely been owning me the last couple of weeks, and there doesn’t appear to be any relief in sight. I’m told that if we survive October, things get easier, but from looking ahead at the syllabi, I’m not convinced. I know I’ve phoned in a couple of game recaps, and I haven’t been able to write nearly as much as I would like so far this season, but I’m just trying to keep my head above water at this point. I hope you understand. I have high hopes that next semester will be much more conducive not only to blogging, but to having a social life as well. And with any luck by then, the Wings will have given me happier things to write about. Trying to find the motivation to find new ways to say things like "third period collapse," "blown lead," "lack of effort," and "defensive zone turnovers" requires more energy than I have to spare right now.

PS. I was driving around campus today and I went through a huge puddle. It sprayed up and soaked this guy who was standing on the curb waiting to jaywalk. I was laughing so hard that I had to pull over. It kind of made my week. So anyway, if you happen to stumble across this blog, random soaked kid, you should know that I wasn’t laughing because I did it on purpose. I was laughing because it’s physically impossible to not laugh in a situation like that. I’m sure I’ll get my karmic retribution shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment