Wednesday, September 16, 2009

First Taste of the Pre-Season...

The Wings opened the pre-season tonight with a 3-1 win over the Flyers. It wasn't televised, and 97.1 wasn't broadcasting it online, so I ended up listening to the Philly radio broadcast instead. It wasn't quite like watching it on TV, but it was glorious to hear some real, live Wings hockey being broadcast.

Based on the play-by-play, it seemed like Ericsson, Draper, Abdelkader, Datsyuk, Kindl, and Delmore were the only Wings on the ice. I can't remember hearing anyone else's name called. It's also possible that they're the only players that the anouncers knew. It's a workable theory. They had a nice chuckle when Larsson took over in net because they didn't know who he was.

They also laid into Delmore quite a bit. At one point, one of them said, "Boy, Andy Delmore is doing everything he can to make sure the Flyers get on the scoresheet again. I played with this guy for a year, no wonder I'm not in the league anymore." Ouch. From what I heard though, it sounded like Delmore was making turnovers like there was no tomorrow.

Other random notes:
  • Draper sounded like he had a good game. He scored the tying goal in the second period and seemed to have some good shifts.
  • There was a fight. Listening to it on the radio was really lame. I could tell that the crowd loved it, though.
  • The Flyers announcers seemed astounded at the number of penalties their team took. I'm not really sure why this was surprising to them because a) they were the most penalized team in the league last year, and b) they acquired Chris Pronger over the summer. Get used to it, gents. It's bound to be a recurring theme.
  • The Wings' powerplay did not have a spectacular night.
  • On the other hand, they managed to not allow any goals on the penalty kill, so that's a start.
  • I could tell when PYG touched the puck without the announcers even saying it because the crowd booed him every time. It's comforting to know that even though he's tucked away in the Eastern Conference now, fans can still bring the hate.
Hockey's back, sunshines, and I couldn't be happier! I'm pretty sure that everyone around me thinks I'm crazy for getting this excited about a meaningless pre-season game, but I'm okay with their judgments.

No comments:

Post a Comment