- Special teams were key in the game tonight. The Wings relied on their strong PK to kill off FIVE straight penalties. Columbus ended up going 0-5 on the powerplay. The Wings then got 3 straight powerplays, one of which resulted in a goal.
- I personally thought that the Jackets deserved a major penalty for wearing such ugly jerseys. Or maybe the refs were trying to help them out because they felt sorry for them.
- Franzen finally scored his first road goal of the season.
- When I first saw Columbus' third jerseys, I was kind of ambivalent. I thought they were stupid because I dislike the concept of third jerseys in general (they're nothing more than a cash grab) and they looked exactly like most other third jerseys out there on the market. However, as the game wore on, every time FSD showed a close-up of a Blue Jacket player, I hated them a little bit more. The cream on the shoulders really took them from mediocre to ugly. The font used for the numbers didn't help matters either.
- After returning from a commercial, Larry Murphy was going over a play that had happened earlier and said “Umdinger” instead of “Umberger.” I found it way more amusing than I should have. Umdinger.
- At the end of the game, Jakub Voracek proceeded to smack himself on the head with his stick. Why? The world may never know.
- Anyone else think that a Jared Boll penalty shot was much less punishment for the Wings than a two-minute powerplay would've been?
- Mike Modano left the game after being cut on the hand/wrist with a skate blade. Trevor Thompson's post-game tweets about it didn't sound promising.
- Valtteri Filppula picked up the game-winner on the powerplay. I don't know why, but I always forget about him. He needs to do more things like that so I'll remember him.
He made stop after stop after stop to keep the Wings in the game including a huge (although not terribly challenging) save on the penalty shot in the second period. After having a rough night in Atlanta two days ago, he bounced back and was the star of the game by far.
Villains: The Referees
Five straight penalties, plus a penalty shot, against the Wings? Columbus conveniently taking the next three straight penalties? Changing standards for hooking? Tonight was a classic example of NHL officiating.
The most important regular season game in franchise history didn't turn out so well for the Blue Jackets.